Thursday 7 August 2014

About Connected in the woods...

Why blogging ?

The idea of starting a blog was from Katri. She says it is a good way to give well-structured, uniform news about myself and what I am doing to family and friends, now that I have relocated to Estonia, far from them. After browsing around, I start thinking that blogging might be something I'll do not only during my time abroad, but also in the long term, not only for personal but also for professional reasons. But let's start first with my experience in Estonia, and then we'll see...

Connected in the woods ?

Professional bloggers recommend choosing a name for your blog which is easy to remember and catchy. I don't know if this one is catchy enough, but it represent well the current situation and a dream we started to share, Katri and I.

Simply said, Estonia is a large forest with here and there some towns, of which you could say only of 3-4 of them they are cities. Sparse population, but very high connectivity. The birthplace of Skype is one of the countries with the best internet coverage, and you'll find free wifi nearly everywhere!

We both love nature and Katri's definition of luxury is: privacy. Estonia is great for that, you don't need to go very far to be in a "remote" place, where you feel like there is no one around and you can enjoy quietness and relax. As every time we come to Estonia (whether for a short or a long stay), we wonder if (or rather, when) we will buy a summer house in the Estonian countryside. We often discuss about both having a professional activity that we could perform from the Estonian countryside (or any remote place we like, with a good connectivity): a web-based business? a consultancy job which I can perform from home? ...  I hope this year in Estonia will allow me experimenting remote work, and develop the needed skills and tools to make it successful. And then, maybe our vision will come true.

The view from Suur Munamägi (highest peak in Estonia, 318 m): mostly forests, some lake, few buildings.



No comments:

Post a Comment